Looking for information on the
hunting dogs used in Australia, follow the links below for
information on these dogs.
new breed gaining popularity.
- A breed used for many years to add size and stamina into
Australian Pig Dogs
- Mainly used for faster game, but added into pig dog crosses
The mainstay of Australian pig
hunters, the good old cross bred hog dog.
Crossed to add
individual traits of various pure bred dogs, I don't think a
cross hasn't been tried except for maybe the toy breeds. Most
have a dash of bull somewhere in their linage, but the rest can
be a combination of virtually anything. The crosses add what is
referred to as Hybrid Vigour, and just
about everyone that pursues the wild boar have their favorite
combinations. Many a beer has been downed whilst discussing the
best combinations, a habit that will continue with time.
- Australia's own purpose bred pig hunting dog. (click on the page
numbers) - Pages -
- The old bush dogs, for fast game
but they also do well on pigs.
Bull Mastiff/Great Dane
- Size and power, a well proven
cross in Australia.